Friday, December 16, 2011

More about the world-wide scavenger hunt

I posted a couple days ago on a 90-minute world-wide scavenger hunt that I helped run.  Here's a link to the actual site.  (EDIT: I've taken down the original site.)  Also, I've open-sourced the code on github.

If you're interested in trying Stanley Darpa or a close variant, let me know. The challenge was a lot of fun, and I'd love to run it again sometime.





Also, I should mention that hosting for this project came from a generous education and research grant by Amazon.  I built and deployed the Stanley-Darpa site using Amazon's EC2 cloud computing service. They don't explicitly endorse the project or my research, but they've done a lot to make it possible.

Some notes on the Stanley-Darpa site:
  • I've put it in demo mode, posting random pictures every few seconds, so you can get a sense of how the contest actually ran. It was a lot of fun to see the pictures come in in real time -- added a lot of energy to the contest.
  • The pictures you see are actual pictures from the class challenge. They've been shrunken and blurred to protect participants' IDs.
  • You can submit your own pictures if you like -- I recommend keeping a "countdown" window open at the same time so that your picture doesn't scroll off the bottom before you get a chance to see it.
  • The contest resets every hour so that the lists don't get too full.

No comments:

Post a Comment