Monday, May 6, 2013

Sadly, I'm not developing tengolo. Would you like to run with it?

A little over a year ago, I announced that I was working on tengolo, a python alternative to netlogo.  I'm not actively developing it -- didn't get much farther than a rough proof-of-concept, really -- but I still get questions about the package.

As a result, I find myself writing some variation on the email below at least a couple times a month:

Dear python/ABM enthusiast - 
Glad you're interested in python and ABMs.  I started on tengolo after a thorough search turned up no good ABM frameworks in python.  I worked on it for a short while, then moved on when my dissertation committee told me to focus on stuff that would actually help me graduate. :) 
I got far enough in to be confident that a python-based ABM framework like tengolo could work. All the code is in the github repository, and every month I get questions from people asking if it's being actively developed. There's clearly demand for the project, but I don't have time to support it at this point.  I'd love to see someone take this ball and run with it. 
Best,
Abe

Would you like to run with this project?  If you're good with python and want to run a potentially popular academic open-source project, tengolo would be a great fit.  Please get in touch, and I will happily direct potential users and collaborators in your direction.



No comments:

Post a Comment