Monday, June 3, 2013

A map of me: Life-tracking with funf


I've been running funf ever since I arrived in California -- almost six months now.  If you haven't seen it before, funf is a great little android app for passive life logging.  It can track anything your phone can track: GPS, accelerometer, battery, text messages, etc.

The downside is that it's buggy.  I ended up having to use a very hacky workaround solution to get my data off: exporting data via email, downloading the zips, then running the funf_analyze_mac script to parse them all to sql. It's a clunky pipeline, but works for the moment.

Here's the first payoff: a map of everywhere I went between November and February. It's pretty neat to be able to see the neighborhood where I work in San Francisco, the train line along the edge of the bay, the two cities where I've lived since moving here, and a few trips south and west to Los Gatos and San Jose.

I haven't done much work to make this beautiful, but I find it very engaging anyway.  (It's my data, after all.)


My next plan is to write a script to isolate places where I go often or spend a lot of time, and then mash those locations up with data from other sources based on timestamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment